Thursday, October 30, 2014

Take my breath away...

Reporting after my 4th cello lesson.

At the end of the first lesson my enthusiasm level was still high. I've learned the basics - how to hold the cello, how to hold the bow, how to move the bow. I even started playing some basic strings.

Second lesson continued with some basic techniques. Practicing the movement of the bow, some basic songs using the simple notes.

Third and fourth lesson things got tricky - I've started using my left arm and working with new notes, other than the basic strings. All of a sudden I had to focus on the right movement of the bow, the right position of the cello, the right position of my elbow, making sure my wrists are not in a funny position, finding the proper spot for the fingers on the fingerboard, applying the correct pressure and so on. Ow - and all of this while my back was supposed to be straight. And the cello firmly gripped in position. No wonder my teacher had to constantly remind me to breathe.


I somehow feel like in first grade again (or a bit earlier, as I was an early bloomer) - when I learned how to write the alphabet. I had to focus on so many new things at the same time. It's almost like learning to walk again - just that this time I need to get used to new movements of my hands. 



No comments:

Post a Comment